Okay, so where do I begin this post?
I suppose I'll just dive right into it.
This summer, I chose to move into a townhome instead of living in a dorm again. Well, I also got one of the new townhomes that had just been built, but I had to move out of my dorm before I was allowed to move into my townhome, so they stuck me in another dorm. The dorm they put me in was actually one I asked to be in because one of the girls was kind of my friend. I mean, she was going to be living with me in the townhome, too, and I had known her a bit before that, so I figured it was a good plan. Well, that ends pretty much right there. Almost as soon as we moved in, I let her know that she could borrow things as long as she asked me considering we're a similar size, we live together and were friends. Shortly after this, weird things began happening. Once, I saw her wearing these sandals that I also had a pair of. I was so excited because I had never actually seen anyone else with them before and I thought it was a really neat coincidence! So, when I said something to her about it and how crazy it was, she simply smiled and carried on. I then discovered a few days later that they had been my sandals because I had not worn them yet and the bottoms were all torn up. Why didn't she just say so? Later that week, I found my nail clippers in her things and got pretty irritated thinking she had stolen my nail clippers. Well, after I calmed down a bit, I decided she had just forgotten, so I sent her a text asking, "hey, have you seen my nail clippers?" She quickly texted back that she had not. Again, after calming myself a bit, I decided she had again forgotten. So a few weeks go by, and I wait to notice that she had done her nails again (after we had moved to the townhome) and I asked her again. Again, I got a solid "no." She then proceeds to tell me that they probably just got lost in the move. Well, now I'm a little miffed because I know she has just lied to my face. So then I make this big hubbub about how I didn't understand how I could have lost them because they were always in the same place and that they're easy to recognize because of the purple gripper on them and that I've had them since 4th grade (which I had). She then simply states, "well, I'm sure they'll turn up!" And turn up, they did! The very next day, they were in a basket in my room under my desk that I had happened to be looking through that morning. Mind you, I had packed that box carefully together the day before, so I knew what was and was not in it. As if that weren't bad enough, a few days later she was in my room and saw them on my desk and said, "oh! I guess you found them!" I was livid. Through a forced smile, I said, "ohh yeah...look at that." BUT I wasn't going to raise hell over nail clippers. That just seemed absurd. Though, I certainly lost my trust in her. In retrospect: I should have called it out.
Fast forward a few months and a tissue sweater of mine that I frequently wore to work went missing. Knowing her game, I asked her and she said no. I looked EVERYWHERE and nothing. I distinctively remember having it when moving, though, because it somehow got loose from the rest of my clothing and we were carrying it by itself a lot of the move, so I knew I had it. So I asked her a few times and still a "no" was what I received. I began to wonder if she actually had it...or if what I remembered was even correct...hmm....
About a month after that, after a 2 week trip to Houston, I was back in Dallas looking for a t-shirt to wear after work until I noticed something strange. I had fewer shirts than I remembered. So at this point I've had enough. She was at home in Fort Worth and I wanted my stuff on my terms. So I go into her room, and immediately find my Phil Wickham shirt. I text her to ask and got no reply. I then proceeded to text her about something entirely different just to see if I'd get a reply and sure enough I did. She was ignoring my shirt question. So I proceed to dig...and I found about 6 of my shirts - some I didn't even know were missing! I also found my scissors and 2 headbands I had used THAT MORNING to wash my face. I was so outraged. I felt so violated! I couldn't believe this person I trusted was taking my things! I certainly didn't think she would keep taking things once we were in different bedrooms! I knew I needed to do something. So, to avoid screaming at her, I took advantage of the fact that I was leaving for Houston again for my mom's surgery and the fact that she was in Fort Worth, and I left her a letter to read. This letter was very nice. I simply said I wasn't okay with what was happening, that I knew about her other lies and that I wanted it to stop. I also said that I could easily pretend like nothing happened and not hold a grudge and that if she had anything else, she either needed to give it to me in person or put it where I would find it. I got back to school a few days later to find 3 other shirts in my laundry basket...
So at this point, I don't trust her at all. I was almost certain that she had more of my things and I knew she was okay with lying to me, so I began to check her room frequently, and still do. To this day, every time I have gone in there, I have found something else of mine...INCLUDING the previously mentioned tissue sweater.
The last time I went in there, this past weekend, hit me hard, though. I found a few camisoles of mine, but I found a few things that were considerably more important than clothes. She had a key that Taylor Concialdi bought me for my birthday in an antique store about a year ago, an antique chain that Zachary gave me when we were dating that I used to wear every day, and a necklace that my Mema bought me in 7th grade. She also had 2 earrings of mine that were missing their pairs, but those were considerably less important. The other things weren't just things I had gone out and bought...they were things people I care very much about gave me. I sat down and cried. At first, I wanted to kill her...or at least clock her pretty good in the jaw, but this still, small voice told me to love her. So I planned what I wanted to do. I knew I wanted to confront her...but how? I had it! I put EVERYTHING she had ever taken from me in a box...and I was going to lay it out for her to see. I also knew I wanted her roommate there because her roommate is much more level-headed and has a greater concept of right and wrong. Her roommate would never tolerate such a thing. So that's exactly what I did. At first, she was upset that I had come to her in the midst of company, but I quickly added, whilst pulling out a copy of the letter I left her 5 months prior, that I had tried that very thing already.
After quite a few "I'm sorry's" and truckloads of excuses, there was nothing left to say...except one thing. About a month and a half ago, my ipod touch went missing. I had thought that it was taken sometime at my office, but something caught my mind. I remembered seeing this same girl sitting on our couch with a few things piled in her hands, one of the things being an ipod touch. I distinctly remember because I remember thinking how I had never seen her with one before, but I dismissed it as hers because she also had ipod headphones in her hand and my original white headphones are buried in a landfill somewhere. Well, I began thinking more and more about it and became convinced that it was actually my ipod, but it was last night that made me 100% sure that she stole it. I decided I was going to ask her to see her ipod so I could compare it to my laptop's itunes for apps and music cross referencing. I figured it was completely understandable considering the circumstances. So, I asked her about it and she got this puzzled, but kind of scared look on her face and answered, "I don't even have an ipod touch...I have an ipod nano." Now I know. I am 100% without a doubt that there was an ipod touch in her hands. It had a silver back...and nanos do not. Also, it was much larger than a nano. She says I must have seen her phone or something, but her phone is in a grey jelly case and is much smaller than an ipod. Whatever. I just want it back.
So it turned out that bringing her roommate in was both a good and bad idea. Good because the roommate said any time I want to come look in the other girl's things, I just need to do it when she's there, so that was cool. BUT, this girl is pretty gullible as well and believed the lies that the other girl told her about "forgetting" the things she stole were mine. This girl also said she hasn't taken anything recently, but some of the jewelry I found has not been missing for more than a few months...I'm a little miffed.
So, the roommate is kind of on both sides. She just thinks this is all some happy accident.
Oh, if she only knew.
Anyway, I doubt anyone has actually made it this far, but if you have...congratulations?
Thanks for reading about how insane my life is :)
That sucks. But seriously, that's not ok. Why don't you lock your bedroom door? Or just tell her she can't borrow your stuff? I don't think that's being rude. She clearly has no respect for you, and you can still love her without letting her take advantage of you...
ReplyDeleteDid you read this?! I did tell her not to...
ReplyDeleteand the doors all use the same key, so that won't do anything.