GO SEE IT.
NOW.
Seen it?
SEE IT AGAIN.
SEE IT AGAIN.
This movie was absolutely FANTASTIC. It lived up to my expectations and then some. I had a few "grumble moments," but I stress the word "few." It was definitely not like Prince Caspian where I was like, "DIDN'T HAPPEN" "THIS IS WRONG" "WHAT THE CRAP?!" hahaha still a good movie, but pretty much 80% different from the book. The Voyage of The Dawn Treader is SO not like that. I MUST see it again. Also, I really wish I hadn't gotten so bogged down with school these past few weeks so I could have finished the book again. I didn't remember quite a bit...
So here are my highlights and grumbles:
Mind you, these thoughts are all formulated on the basis of my having read this book like 3-4 years ago, so I might have some things a bit off...
Highlights (in order):
1. They pretty much nailed Eustace on the nose. Like, I almost believe that that kid is really just a figment of C.S. Lewis' imagination incarnated. Very, very impressive. Also, he made me want to shoot him, as the character, I believe, is meant to.
2. The painting scene was insanely amazing. First of all, the painting itself was gorgeous. Much better than I had imagined, I think. Secondly, I was kind of weary of how they would do that, but they pulled it off so well.
3. Caspian now has a British accent *this will also be in the grumble section, so look out* which, I must say, slightly makes up for the fact that he isn't blonde. I definitely liked Caspian's character more in this one.
4. The ship was exquisite - ESPECIALLY Caspian's cabin. LOVED IT! Favorite part: the golden Aslan crest and the mural on the wall of the Pevensies as the older Kings and Queens riding through the forest to Lantern Waste. I want it in my house. Not in the book (that I recall) but it was cool and beautiful enough to make it on the highlights.
5. The Dufflepuds and Coriakin ("the oppressor, who is very...oppressive"). This could have gone so badly, but I think they did it well. Also, Coriakin's mansion was pretty legit.
6. Eustace as a dragon. Seriously, he was beautiful and it totally brought redemption to his character like it was supposed to.
7. EUSTACE'S TRANSFORMATION BACK TO A BOY. Oh. My. Goodness. This was one of my ALL-TIME favorite parts of Narnia as a whole and just thinking about their interpretation gives me gigantic goosebumps. Seriously, wow. I think I would have died had they done this badly. Kudos.
8. White flowers...self explanatory.
9. Aslan, as always.
10. The ever-cresting wave was pretty stinkin' cool...
11. This film was DEFINITELY a Christian film, whereas I felt the others were just kind of blips on the radar, not wanting to offend. I'll go into this more in a bit.
And from there, I really can't remember a whole lot else...those were the things that stuck out the most
12. Have I ever mentioned that I could probably listen to Liam Neeson talk every day, all day of my life? No? Well...I am now. Perfection? Yes.
13. The part with Aslan's country was seriously awesome. It was a great representation of what death will be like, I think. Also, it was beautiful when Aslan told Lucy how he was also real in her world, but had another name. A girl in the theater screamed when the credits came on and it was kind of silent "Aslan's other name is 'Jesus!'" It was obnoxious, but pretty cool.
Grumbles:
1. CASPIAN. First the hair, then the Spanish accent, well get ready because now he's suddenly British? As previously mentioned, I like it more, but still...have some consistency, people. I also read in those "movie fact" things that apparently Ben Barnes originally based his Caspian off of Inigo Montoya. 'A' for effort, 'F' in WHAT THE CRAP ARE YOU THINKING?!
2. I said earlier that this was mostly true to the book...which is true, but a lot of things happen out of order. I don't think it was a change for the worse, but it's still "grumble-worthy." The movie would have been like 5 hours long, though, if they had gone in order...which I'm not sure I would have really minded, BUT I don't think they would have done as well.
3. THEY KEEP FREAKING BRINGING JADIS BACK. Seriously?! Quit it. Why are they so obsessed with her character?! ALTHOUGH, I will say that as irritated as I was that they brought her back, I think they used her well and it fit in...because they made her Edmund's fear and temptation, so it wasn't all bad.
4. Reepicheep was not voiced by Eddie Izzard this time. I, personally, love Eddie Izzard and I felt he was the appropriate proportions of noble and feisty for Reepicheep. BUT, Reepicheep's character is pretty significant to the Christian implications and I don't think Izzard is a Christian, so maybe that had something to do with it. Although, if that were the case, Skandar Keynes, or Edmund Pevensie, would have gotten the boot for being an atheist...but let's face it, he seriously IS Edmund and they couldn't have just changed him considering he was in the first 2. But I digress...I'll come back to Skandar in a bit.
5. Aslan was not as "in" this movie as I think he should have been. The book had more, I think.
6. They made a reference to Caspian and Susan's romance. Stupid.
7. The sea monster scene kind of lingered. I felt it should have ended a good 3 minutes before it finally went away.
8. They added in this extra plot of this random family...which was okay, I guess, but I don't remember it from the book. I could definitely be wrong, though.
9. I didn't feel like they explained why Caspian was making the journey in the first place. They kind of did, but I felt like it was more or less, "I'm sailin' around cause I'm king! wooooooooo!" Just sayin.
Okay, so in all, it was fantastic. I mean, they did change a lot and mix it up, but I really left going, "WOW." It even made me cry a bit. It was just beautiful. I think they did an excellent job. I will for sure see this again, and I will DEFINITELY be buying it when it's out. For sure. In all, it was excellent.
As for Skandar Keynes, who is apparently an Atheist and direct descendant of Charles Darwin (and a crap load of other mentionable names and royal people), I pray this role changed his heart. How can you witness this and not be moved? More than that, I pray people who see this film will also be moved to feel the call bearing on their sould. I believe they will...I also believe that Keynes helped in that, so even though he doesn't believe, it doesn't mean he isn't being used by the Most High God.
I think out of 5, I'm gonna give this film at least 4.5...maybe even 4.75, if that's possible.
GO SEE IT.
NOW.
Seen it?
SEE IT AGAIN.
No comments:
Post a Comment