These past few weeks have been an absolute mess.
Two words: roommate drama. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate drama?!
Well, I HATE DRAMA. Unless it's the fun, ridiculous, exaggerative drama that is not stress-inducing. To clue the slow folks in, this is not that kind...
Ok, so that's another blog for another day because, frankly, I do not have the time to explain all the crap that has gone down. Perhaps I'll make that a Spring Break mission for those of you who care/are bored enough to read it :)
Wow, I just realized how depressing my SB really is :(
Anyway, I was thinking today about work and stuff...
I watched the movie Outsourced, which I TOTALLY recommend, and it got me to thinking about 1. how much I REALLY want to go to India and 2. about how unkind I can be to some of our students. Granted, my job kind of requires me to be extremely strict with immigration and all, but I always find myself telling people "I don't want to be the enemy..." and I make myself one.
I get so easily irritated with some students and I don't know if I would necessarily behave differently if the shoe was on the other foot, or however that saying goes. I mean, if my proactivity in following up on something could mean my deportation if I fall short, UH, YEAH I'm gonna be callin' 4,000 times. Now, with that being said, sometimes students do wait until the very last second and that is super, duper annoying, but I should still find patience for them and treat them with love and compassion. I especially came to this conclusion when a student here commented on my status saying I want to go to India. She was so nice to me and I hate that I had to wonder to myself whether or not I was nice to her at some point.
Not to say I should be sunshine and daisies all the time...because I WON'T be, but I should at least try to be. I'm going to have to find the boundary between stern and kind. I need to still be strict because my job demands that rules be followed, but I can at least try to make the process a little easier with kindness. I mean, let's face it: the immigration process is frustrating and difficult (and EXPENSIVE) enough without me being a jerk!
So, new goal: be kind, rewind.
Just kidding on that rewind part. I think I'll just leave it at "be kind."
No comments:
Post a Comment