Friday, May 7, 2010

dead week my butt...

So apparently DBU is one of the only schools in the country that doesn't believe in "dead week." This is the week that most colleges give their students an entire week off to study for the next week of finals. DBU? Nope. This week to them is the week that all papers, projects, presentations, portfolios and various other 'p' words are due. Stupid.
"but I digress..."

I had to go to court today. It was one of the most nerve-wracking days of my whole life. I kept imagining myself talking to the judge and her giving me some outrageous fine to pay, or being put in jail, hahah. Oh, how my imagination will wander.
Oh, I guess I haven't explained why I went to court. Haha, here goes:

So remember a few months ago how I got that ticket because I accidentally ran the red light? Well, I got a ticket and requested "deferred disposition..." which is basically a fancy way of saying, "I'm sorry, I won't do it again. Let me pay the fine and you can put me on probation so this won't go on my permanent record." So I got a notice that had 4 conditions on it:
1. pay $222 (this, folks, will convince anyone to be more careful. This was a very painful ticket to pay)
2. take a defensive driving course approved by the City of Fort Worth
3. receive no further infractions for 90days.
4. mail a copy of driver's license and insurance at time of ticket

So I promptly sent in my check and began researching what DD courses were approved by FW...Well, that wasn't on their website OR on the ticket. It only had places you had to go to, and I don't have time to drive to Fort Worth for 6 hours to sit through a defensive driving class. So I call to find out if I can take it online and how long I have until my probation is up and I have to submit my DD certificate. I sit on hold for hours and no one answers. Finally, a friend tells me that her probation lasted a year, so I'm thinking, "okay, cool. I have until December to figure out where to go, so I'll continue my search after finals." No dice. About a week ago, I get a letter in the mail telling me I have failed to comply with probation and I have to show up in court. I'm thinking, "WHAT?!?!?!?!" and I begin to panic. So I call the FW court and talk to this lady that makes me feel like an idiot. She tells me I only had 90 days (though it said that NO WHERE on the ticket, probation order or their website) and that I can take the course online. Then she says if I just take it and bring it to the court it'll be good because that shows I'm taking initiative. Whew.

So I stay up all night last night to finish the SIX HOUR course online and pay $30 to get my certificate "over nighted" to me. The course was $25...I'm not sure if you're keeping score, but this ticket has thus far cost me $277...and parking at the court was $4. So that's $281. That'll change someone's perspective on driving :)


I get to court at 1:45, they let us in the court room around 1:55 and we wait for the judge to come in. By we, I mean the 15 other people that also had ticket nonsense. Around 2:15, the judge FINALLY graces us with her presence and starts going through all of the ticket. I'm pretty sure it didn't take more than 15 seconds per person. It was kind of ridiculous. IRONY: there was a woman right before me whose last name was BRUNNER! What are the odds? (for those a little confused right now, my parents' last name is "Brunner.") So I start to stand up in a completely confused manner thinking they must have read the name on my insurance. To my amazement, the woman behind me stood up and said, "no that's me." I was next. She called my name, I stood up, she looked at my printed off "congrats on completing defensive driving" thing and told me I had another 30 days to send in my real certificate and I was free to go. Seriously?! That's it?! Yep...that was it. Whatevs. I'm just glad it will finally be over. I'm still a little miffed that I got "next day" shipping for my certificate, but whatever. At least I'll have it tomorrow, I'll mail it right back out to the court and all will be well!

So now I'm going to go bury my head in books and study my tail off.
What my week will look like:
Saturday: write a critical article review for New Testament
Sunday: finish online New Testament final
Monday: Biology final of death (seriously...I'm terrified.) work 2-6
Tuesday: CLS final of death (most retarded class ever...) and DCM online final...of death; work 4-6
Wednesday: work 8-10; easy peasy History final :) (she practically gives us all of the answers all the time.) work 1-5
Thursday: Turn in critical review of "Amazing Grace" movie and William Wilberforce: A Man Who Changed His Times for DCM; work 10-6; move out of my dorm around 7 to a different dorm until June 1
Friday: work 8-11; 1-5 then SLEEP FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

:) thanks for reading!
Blessings,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment