Monday, March 29, 2010

Am I lost or just less found?

This weekend has been incredibly hard for me. I went to Houston for what was supposed to be a fun weekend with my family celebrating my youngest nephew's first birthday, and it turned into one of the saddest weekends of my life. Friday morning, my grandfather had a heart attack in the shower and we have no idea how long it was until my grandma finally found him. When the EMT arrived, he was still unconscious and barely breathing (if at all). Saturday we found out he was about 90% brain dead, was still unconscious and couldn't breathe on his own. 


Last night around 11 they turned off the respirator - according to his living will - and right now we are still just waiting as his blood pressure continues to fall. It should be any time now, but we have no clue. The tentative date for the funeral right now is Saturday.




It's so crazy. I never would have thought losing a step anything would be so hard, but this is extremely hard. This is my step-grandfather, but he is my grandpa in every way. When I was saying goodbye I told him he was just as much my grandpa as Steve is my dad. 


He lived a fantastic life with the Lord as his constant companion. He's a WWII vet with a purple heart for jumping overboard to save another man...which is also how he lost one of his legs. From that, the Lord used his talents for making things and brought him prosperity making prosthetics for others affected by the loss of a limb. 




We will all miss him very, very much.
Whenever you go, Grandpa, have fun dancing in Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment