Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Reliving the Past

Today has been ROUGH for Erin.

Sunday night my roommate, Allison, got a call saying her grandfather had been put in the hospital in Abilene. I'm not sure why, though, since she lives in Comanche. Anyway, I tried to get her to leave and go to her family Monday, but she said she still had things to do. They were only getting bad news and the doctor was extremely pessimistic, so I was really worried. Yesterday was the first bit of good news! He had developed bleeds in his stomach a few days ago and he was on a ventilator, but yesterday they found out that his bleeding was from ulcers that could be treated with medicine and they took him off the ventilator!

So today was the day she was going to leave to go home...and she did.
She was so happy when I talked to her as she was driving :)

A few hours later I got a text that broke my heart. It said, "my pawpaw is slipping fast."
At that moment I called her, and as we both sat crying on the phone, she told me about how they were calling all the family to the hospital because he was getting much worse. They still had quite a drive ahead of them, so I was hoping and praying that they would get there in time. Fortunately, they did! He is still hanging on, but my dear roommate is a wreck. I hate that she's going through this. This pain is so hard.


I think...well, know...that I'm so connected to this because of my similar experience with my grandpa sophomore year. I got home from school on January 24th and immediately had to pack and rush to the airport to fly to Phoenix. My mom's dad was slipping quickly, and I had to get to him.
I, on the other hand, didn't make it. He passed away an hour before my plane landed. This is the same wonderful man that had lived one house away my whole life. The man who took me to chuck e cheeses because he loved me (and he loved pizza ;) )
I had never lost anyone so close to me before him. I miss him so much.

Similarly, Allison grew up minutes from her "pawpaw" and has always been extremely close to him. She's scared and hurting, but also wants him to not suffer anymore. She's so strong. She has never lost anyone so close either.

I don't believe in coincidences...
maybe I went through this already so I could be strong for her?

please pray for my friend
I love her so much

No comments:

Post a Comment