Friday, September 11, 2009

Reflection

Since today is such an important day, I feel compelled to write about it and reflect on the day I will never forget.

I was in 5th grade when the Twin Towers went down. I remember sitting in class watching Mrs. Hibbs, my teacher, teaching as Mrs. Jenkins, the math teacher, came in looking really frazzled. She whispered something to Mrs. Hibbs and they both got this look of horror on their faces. I remember this so well. I was sitting in the first row of the class...it's so vivid. A few minutes later we started watching the news. As we sat in utter confusion, my 5th grade class watched as the second plane smashed into that beautiful, smoking tower. I remember watching as the buildings collapsed. I remember not fully understanding what was happening, but I knew it was a huge deal. The next thing we knew, 2 more planes had hit the Pentagon and a valley in PA. We were stunned as we watched people screaming, the reporters speaking in panicked tones and realizing how many people were dying as we sat comfortably at school. I remember being so angry at the people who did this. I remember not understanding how someone could be so evil.

This image is one I will never be able to pluck from my memory. I pray I'll never want to. Though this event was such a tragedy in the lives of all Americans, I know God has used, and will continue to use, this event to unite people across this torn country. I'll never forget the "God Bless America" shouted through this land.

I'm so sorry for those who lost someone because of this tragedy
I'm so sorry for those who continue to lose loved ones because of this tragedy. (in combat)
I pray God would use this event to connect us all and humble us enough to know we aren't invincible, but we can still do all things through Christ, and through Christ alone.

Never forget

No comments:

Post a Comment